Reporting to the firm’s Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Legal Officer (the “CAO/CLO”), and working alongside the firm's other attorney, the VP, Associate General Counsel is responsible for managing and executing the legal and compliance agenda.
The Associate General Counsel will work closely with members of our Management and Investment teams including other key functional areas such as Finance, Marketing, Product Management, and IT.
Roles and Responsibilities
- With the supervision of the firm's CAO / CLO, manage the firm's legal agenda.
- Perform comprehensive legal and regulatory research and provide legal advice to CAO/CLO and leadership team.
- Serve as a critical partner to Human Resources; provide strategic advice and support HR with employment agreements and employee relations (including policies, benefits, performance management, and terminations).
- Support the drafting, negotiating, and management of vendor, client, and corporate agreements.
- Support the firm’s global compliance program.
- Liase with outside counsel to manage litigation, legal research, and contract drafting.
- Assist with the management and enforcement of the firm’s intellectual property portfolio (patents, trademarks).
- Prepare regulatory filings.
- Review marketing materials to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Perform ad hoc projects, as needed, including due diligence and supporting business ventures and other initiatives in Europe and Australia.
Education and Experience
- JD, with a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience, preferably working with an investment adviser.
- Licensed attorney in good standing with a state bar.
- High quality drafting skills are critical.
- Must have employment law experience.
- Must have experience with investment products.
- Proficiency in index products and all asset classes (equities, fixed income, and commodities).
- Superior judgment with intellectual curiosity and a desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- The ability to identify issues and make reasoned decisions in a fast-paced environment.